Definition of Athenaeum in English:
1Used in the names of libraries or institutions for literary or scientific study: the Boston Athenaeum
More example sentences
- The city art gallery project, which involved the construction of new galleries and the linking of two existing buildings - the Royal Manchester Institution and the Athenaeum - was a triumph.
- Tomorrow there will be an Anglo-Japanese evening at the Athenaeum and on Wednesday the usually quiet library will be alive with the sounds of a folk band.
- It was held at the Athenaeum, in Warminster, a few years ago and I went along.
1.1Used in the titles of periodicals concerned with literature, science, and art.
- Published in 1897, his novel Dracula received mixed reviews, summed up in the Athenaeum's grudging praise that Stoker's object, ‘assuming it to be ghastliness, is fairly well fulfilled’.
- Apparently, word around the rumour mill was that he used to date a journalism major who wrote a weekly column for the Atheneum.
Definition of Athenaeum in:
- British & World English dictionary