Definition of Austronesian in English:
Of, relating to, or denoting a family of languages spoken in an area extending from Madagascar in the west to the Pacific islands in the east. Also called Malayo-Polynesian.
- Today, Austronesian languages are spoken from Madagascar in the west, to Easter Island in the east.
- Small Austronesian languages are another area of current research.
- Archaeological evidence supports the commonly held theory that peoples speaking Austronesian languages first came to the islands some 4,000 years ago.
nounBack to top
The Austronesian family of languages.
- He is continuing experiments on the Indo-European issues, and has new work on Austronesian in progress.
- Some people argue against it, but I think the evidence for Austronesian is very strong.
- The indigenous languages belong to the Central Oceanic branch of Eastern Austronesian and are divided into eastern and western branches.
Definition of Austronesian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia