Definition of Avestan in English:
Of or relating to the Avesta or to the ancient Indo-Iranian language in which it is written, closely related to Vedic Sanskrit.
- Fire worship was central to the Aryans and to their Vedic and Avestan expressions, as was the tradition of the holy drink - the Vedic soma and the Avestan haoma.
nounBack to top
The Avestan language.
- This blog post cites this paper in support of a particular theory of historical change from Avestan to Modern Persian.
- Born at Liège, he entered the University there before moving to Louvain to study Sanskrit, Pli, and Avestan.
- Old Persian and its close sister Avestan, what we have of ‘Iranian Part One’ in any real way, are early Indo-European, bristling with inflectional paradigms that barely look acquirable.
Definition of Avestan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan