Definition of Azerbaijani in English:
noun (plural Azerbaijanis)
1A native or inhabitant of Azerbaijan or a person of Azerbaijani descent.
- Under the Russian Empire, Azerbaijanis were known collectively as Tatars and/or Muslims, together with the rest of the Turkic population in that area.
- Western television programs are well liked among the Azerbaijanis, as are Russian and Turkish programs.
- There are at least thirty-five non-Turkish ethnic groups, including other Turkic peoples who speak different Turkic languages, such as the Uygurs, Kirgiz, Kazaks, Uzbeks, Balkar, and Azerbaijanis.
2The Turkic language of Azerbaijan.
- Azeri (also referred to as Azeri Turkish) or Azerbaijani is a Turkic language in the Altaic family; it belongs to the southwestern Oguz group, together with Anatolian Turkish, Turkmen, and Gagauz.
- The accusations from a Turkish-American who speaks Azerbaijani, Farsi, Turkish and English will reignite the controversy over whether the administration ignored warnings.
- She worked as a contract linguist for the F.B.I. for about six months, translating material in Turkish, Persian and Azerbaijani.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Azerbaijan, its people, or their language.
- Yusuf, the son of Azerbaijani parents, grew up Britain and studied classical music at the Royal Academy.
- She also notes that several top officials hold dual U.S.- Azerbaijani citizenship.
- THE Azerbaijani government yesterday announced seven days of mourning to honour former president Geidar Aliev and said he would be buried in a state funeral in the capital Baku tomorrow.
Definition of Azerbaijani in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan