A tailless macaque monkey that is native to northwestern Africa and also found on the Rock of Gibraltar.
- Macaca sylvana, family Cercopithecidae
More example sentences
- The Rock itself has an uplifting natural beauty, stunning wildlife and those curious, but worldly, star celebrities - the cute, cheeky, tail-less Barbary apes called Macaques.
- Chris travels to Gibraltar to encounter the only free-living primates in Europe, Barbary apes, and joins a research boat to go dolphin watching around the bay.
- For example, you absolutely must take a tour to the Upper Rock to see the famous Barbary apes, which live there in a semi-wild state.
Definition of Barbary ape in:
- The British & World English dictionary