Definition of Bashkir in English:
1A member of a Muslim people living in the southern Urals.
- Today, Islam is the second largest religion, after Russian Orthodoxy, with at least 19 million practitioners, and among ethnic minorities most Tatars, Bashkirs, Kazakhs, Chechens, and Avars, are Sunni Muslim.
- These diverse groups lie scattered from the Caucasus and Ural mountains to eastern Siberia, and include the Tatars, Chuvash, Bashkirs, Sakha, Tuvans, Karachai, Khakass, Altays, and others.
- He attracted a following of peasants, Old Believers, Ural mineworkers, and non-Russians such as Bashkirs and Kalmyks.
2The Turkic language of the Bashkirs.
- Bashkir is spoken principally in the Russian Republic of Bashkortostan.
- Bashkir (also referred to as Basquort/Bashkort) is spoken primarily in the republic of Bashkortostan between the Volga River and the Ural mountains in Russia.
- A Turkic language, Bashkir is spoken by one in four residents of Bashkortostan.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Bashkirs or their language.
- A Rosneft spokesman did not deny the company was interested in the Bashkir assets, the paper said.
- Ufa, with its significant Bashkir population, was one of three ARA districts inhabited largely by Muslims.
- Ufa, the capital of the Bashkir republic, became the wartime seat of the Soviet Ukrainian government.
Definition of Bashkir in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan