Definition of Berber in English:
1A member of an indigenous people of North Africa. The majority of Berbers are settled farmers or (now) migrant workers.
- Tuareg, Fulani, Berbers, Soninke, and Songhai lived side by side, in peace and harmony, bound together by their belief in Allah, the Qur'ân and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad.
- There were Copts and Berbers in North Africa when the Arabs came and Byzantine Christians when Turks entered Asia Minor.
- By the end of the nineteenth century, Tunisians distinguished between Moors, Turks, Jews, Berbers, Andalusians, Arabs, and various sorts of Europeans.
2The Afro-Asiatic language of the Berbers. There are several different dialects; some of them, e.g., Tamashek, are regarded by some scholars as separate languages.
- Her mother's world by contrast was hidden and private, and in it dialects of Arabic or Berber were spoken but were not usually written down.
- Arabic and Berber are the languages most spoken in day-to-day life.
- Not surprisingly, you'll get a better deal if you bring a friend who speaks Arabic or Berber.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Berbers or their language.
- For them the government had to open out the country's history and embrace the period before the Arab invasion in the seventh century, thereby recognising that the Berber language and culture were essential components of being Algerian.
- Although in the run up to the election the government finally officially recognised the legitimacy of the Berber language - Tamazight - this did nothing to hold back the mass protest.
- The major language of the Tuareg is Tamacheq, which is in the Berber language group.
Definition of Berber in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan