- A Dominican friar.More example sentences
- It is generally thought that a group of monks or priests known as the Black Friars had charge of the ancient church in the centre of this cemetery in former times.
- Known as the Order of Preachers the Dominicans wore a black mantel over a white habit which earned them the name of the Black Friars.
- The Black Friars were said to have arrived in Yarmouth in 1267.
early 16th century: so named because of the color of the order's habit.
More definitions of Black FriarDefinition of Black Friar in:
- The British & World English dictionary