- A police vehicle for transporting prisoners.More example sentences
- A short, mutton-chopped cop grabbed his sleeve and pushed him toward the open doors of a Black Maria.
- The jury comes back within five minutes, the judge dons a black cap, and the defendants commence with a thin chorus of ‘You're going home in a Black Maria.’
- On arrival at Leeds station they were met by a Black Maria which would carry them to Leeds Town Hall where the trial was to be held.
mid 19th century: said to be named after a black woman, Maria Lee, who kept a boarding house in Boston and helped police in escorting drunk and disorderly customers to jail.
More definitions of Black MariaDefinition of Black Maria in:
- The British & World English dictionary