Definition of Blue Book in English:
1An official book listing government officials.
- It also has lists government offices and administrative bodies and is a useful supplement to the Blue Book.
- The biographical data on assemblymen has been compiled from the California Blue Book for the years 1893-1911.
- One of the many books we receive at the newspaper office is the Mississippi Blue Book, the official and statistical register for our great state.
1.1British A report bound in a blue cover and issued by Parliament or the Privy Council.
- Much of it, and that often the most revealing and significant is not what appears in… speeches, reports, and blue books.
- Sources said yesterday that no precise forecasts would be made until after the publication of the so-called blue book, which will revise growth figures back to 1994.
- One has to assume, does one not, that in certifying the agreement, the Commission proceeded on the basis of, is it section 89 in the blue book - I am lost again - section 89?
1.2 (in full Kelley Blue Book) US trademark A reference book listing the prices of used cars.
- On the buying side, I would make sure you check the Blue Book for private party sales.
- Go check the "blue book" was once the mantra for anyone selling or buying a used car.
- Since 1926, new and used car buyers and sellers have relied upon Kelley Blue Book for authoritative and unbiased information to make well-informed car, truck and SUV buying decisions.
1.3 (usually blue book) An authoritative handbook, e.g., a listing of socially prominent people.
- As industrialization twisted and strained the English class structure, breeders created elaborate class systems, replete with blue books and pedigrees patterned after those of the nobility, for horses and dogs.
2 (blue book) A blank book used for written examinations in high school and college.
- Please open your blue books and write at least 300 words on this theme: According to Pablo Picasso good art is created, but great art is stolen.
- They have an irritating habit of writing, in the margins of blue books, ‘Where is the argument?’
- The cards and their wrappers ought to be manufactured with 100 percent recycled blue books and undergraduate student papers.
Definition of Blue Book in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.