Definition of Bogomil in English:
- Some people would claim that the Cathars descended from the Essenes, that they were the older and more original form of Christianity, similar to the Bogomils or the Lollards who were exterminated in England.
- The Bogomils of 10th century Bulgaria taught a life of penitence, prayer, wandering and simple worship in order to escape a world deemed evil by nature.
- Because grace could not bind itself to matter, Bogomils believe that Christ had only the semblance of a human body.
- Example sentences
- It is also found in the name of the 10 th-century Christian heresy of Bogomilism, after the Bulgarian priest who founded it.
- Few or no remnants of Bogomilism have survived in Bosnia.
- Pop Bogomil Street in Sofia lies close to the intersection of Maria Luiza and Slivnitsa boulevards and bears the name of the priest Bogomil who has left a memorable mark in Bulgarian and world history - as the founder of Bogomilism.
Mid 19th century: from medieval Greek Bogomilos, from Bogomil, literally 'beloved of God', the name of the person who first disseminated the heresy, from Old Church Slavic.
Definition of Bogomil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.