Definition of Brownie in English:
noun (plural Brownies)
1A member of the junior branch of the Girl Scouts, for girls aged between about 6 and 8.
[so named because of the color of the uniform]
- Maybe it's like being a Girl Scout or a Brownie and some how or other, you fly up and make it into Manipura just in the nick of time and you're headed home free before you know it.
- When I was in elementary school in Colorado, I was a Brownie and then a Girl Scout until the age of 12 when we moved to Kansas.
- After serving as a Brownie and then a Guide with the Eastbrook Hall group in Bradford, she moved to St Stephen's at West Bowling where she became a Guide Lieutenant.
2 (brownie) A small square of rich cake, typically chocolate cake with nuts.
- Like brownies, chocolate cake is loved by everyone.
- If you're making your own pound cake, brownies or angel food cake for the chocolate fondue, get baking.
- And the restaurant sells its own line of chocolate candies, brownies, and sumptuous dessert toppings from a retail counter up front.
3 (brownie) A benevolent elf supposed to haunt houses and do housework secretly.
[diminutive of brown; a “wee brown man” often appears in Scottish ballads and fairy tales; compare with Old Norse svartálfar, the dark elves of the Edda]
- It wasn't often that Murdoch truly appreciated a practical joke but Johnny's contention that they had a leprechaun or a brownie in the house was too good to pass up.
- Heathens also work with ‘hidden folk’ such as elves, brownies, dwarves and etins (giants and other not so pleasant folk).
- In England the hobgoblin was as helpful a sprite as the brownie and was also known as Robin Goodfellow or Puck.
- informal humorous An imaginary award given to someone who does good deeds or tries to please: his policy will win brownie points with votersMore example sentences
- Let us be clear: this announcement is not primarily about increasing our aid to Iraq; it is all about scoring more brownie points in London and Washington.
- Still, I'm very fortunate to be operating within an environment where a couple of hours taken off here and there to battle fascism actually earns you brownie points.
- Poor Helena, fawning over Demetrius, decides to score some brownie points by telling him.
Definition of Brownie in:
- British & World English dictionary