Definition of Browning in English:
noun(also Browning machine gun)
1A type of water-cooled automatic machine gun.
- From an engineering viewpoint, many of his mechanical solutions have been recognized as precursors to later designs as modern as the BAR, the Browning machine gun, M1 rifle and M1 carbine.
- The Army wanted the aircraft carry the stunning armament of either eight 20 mm cannon or twelve .50-cal Brownings and fly at over 450-mph - truly amazing requirements for the time.
- If you liked the pre-'64 model 70 and the FN Mauser Brownings so much, why didn't you buy them?
1.1 (also Browning automatic) A type of automatic pistol.
- Two masked gunmen fired a total of 14 shots from a .38 revolver and a 9mm Browning automatic pistol, all of which hit Finucane.
- Another of the Palace Barracks guns, a Browning automatic pistol, was used to assassinate Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane.
- GOE operators have a liberal personal weapons policy, so it is not unusual to see team members carrying pistols that range from Brownings to SIG Sauers to Glocks.
1.2 (also Browning automatic rifle) A gas-operated automatic rifle, typically fired from a bipod.
- The Browning Automatic Rifle, or BAR, was a direct result of machine gun and trench warfare found in the First World War.
- Since its introduction in 1967, the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) has set the standard for autoloading centerfire hunting rifles.
- The initial M1918A1 version of the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) was first used in combat by American soldiers during World War I, and many saw service in World War II.
early 20th century: named after J. M. Browning (1855–1926), American designer of the weapons.
Definition of Browning in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia