Definition of Caddoan in English:
Relating to or denoting a group of American Indian peoples formerly inhabiting the Midwest, or their languages.
- Custis was free to observe Creek ceremonies and Caddoan customs and skills (their talents with the bow put him in mind of stories from the Iliad) and to post a twenty-six-specimen botanical collection downriver.
- Thus the Mississippian embraces a wide range of essentially localized groups: the Middle Mississippian, Fort Ancient, South Appalachian Mississippian, Plaquemine Mississippian, Caddoan Mississippian, and the Oneota.
- The paste composition relationships of different Caddoan vessel forms and the conclusions of both the petrographic and neutron activation analyses indicate that the Mockingbird ceramics are the product of a local group.
nounBack to top
1A member of any of the Caddoan peoples.
- Like other Caddoans, both groups had a mixed economy with farming and buffalo hunting being important.
- For example, the Osage, Pawnee, Arikaras, Mandans, Wichitas, and Caddoans remained in permanent farming settlements.
- The Pawnees, Wichitas, and perhaps other Caddoans owned the plains-country, and their possessions reached to within a few miles of the Missouri, especially in Kansas.
from Caddo (a language of this family) kaduhdacu, denoting a band belonging to this group, + -an.
Definition of Caddoan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan