Definition of Cantonese in English:
Of or relating to Canton (Guangzhou), its inhabitants, their dialect, or their cuisine.
- The Cantonese dialect created the unique culture exemplified by Stephen Chow, and this is our pride.
- One of the manifestations of local identity is language and Hong Kong cinema, since the beginning of sound, was closely identified as a Cantonese dialect cinema.
- If they were from Sichuan, there was no question that they ate Sichuanese and not Cantonese food.
noun (plural same)Back to top
1A native or inhabitant of Canton.
- We restricted the study to individuals belonging to the two major dialect groups of Chinese in Singapore: the Hokkiens and the Cantonese.
- The striking thing about Guangzhou is that it is no longer the home of the Cantonese.
- Yet, picky Cantonese discovered years ago that X.O. Excellence brandy perfectly complements their favourite shark's fin soup.
2A form of Chinese spoken mainly in southeastern China (including Hong Kong). Also called Yue.
- Our local tour guide speaks Chinese (both Cantonese and putonghua), and he says that he has sufficient demand to keep busy every day of the week.
- Some West Coast and Hawaiian galleries take additional steps to ensure success with this market by hiring multilingual consultants who speak Japanese, Cantonese or Mandarin Chinese.
- Fluent in Mandarin, she was able to operate among the Hong Kong residents, who mainly speak Cantonese.
Words that rhyme with CantoneseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
Definition of Cantonese in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan