- 1A firework in the form of a flat coil that spins when fixed to something solid and lit.More example sentences
- But if we wish to avoid establishing a black market, and the sale of fireworks to the public is to continue, then let these be the sparklers, Catherine wheels and small rockets Mr Waller appears to favour.
- By the end of the day we managed to acquire a substantial collection of rockets, Catherine wheels and sparklers.
- Next was a 2/6 box - as before with a couple of rockets, a few Catherine wheels and some Bangers.
late 16th century (as a heraldic term): named after St. Catherine (see Catherine, St.), with reference to her martyrdom.
More definitions of Catherine wheelDefinition of Catherine wheel in:
- The British & World English dictionary