- A hypothetical sequence of events following the meltdown of a nuclear reactor, in which the core melts through its containment structure and deep into the earth.More example sentences
- It'll be like the China syndrome, but reversed.
- It may have something to do with the China syndrome.
- Hedge funds are derivatives on steroids, and the near collapse of one hedge fund nearly caused the financial equivalent of ‘the China syndrome.’
1970s: from China (as being on the opposite side of the earth from a reactor in the US).
More definitions of China syndromeDefinition of China syndrome in:
- The British & World English dictionary