- 1Of or relating to China or its language, culture, or people.More example sentences
- Investing a sizeable $10 bn, the government is also sponsoring a worldwide network of schools to promote Chinese culture and language.
- The network will spearhead the teaching of Chinese language and culture worldwide while strengthening economic and business ties.
- The Chinese culture and language are very complex in the eyes of most Westerners.
- 1.1Belonging to or relating to the people forming the dominant ethnic group of China and widely dispersed elsewhere. Also called Han.More example sentences
- The PFP and KMT won most of their seats in these areas, as well as among the Hakka Chinese ethnic group or Taiwan's aboriginal communities.
- Song has solicited support from ethnic Chinese scholars for the open letter to China's president.
- In urban centres, there are small Indian, Arab, and ethnic Chinese communities.
noun (plural same)Back to top
- 1The Chinese language.More example sentences
- These languages include Chinese, Hindi / Urdu, Japanese, Juang, Korean, Icelandic, Lithuanian, and Russian.
- This was offered in broadband by BBC News interactive in six languages including Urdu, Chinese and Arabic.
- His poems have been translated into all Indian languages and foreign languages, including Chinese, French and German.
- 2A native or inhabitant of China, or a person of Chinese descent.
Chinese, a member of the Sino-Tibetan language family, is the world’s most commonly spoken first language, with an estimated 1.2 billion native speakers worldwide. The script is logographic, using characters that originated as stylized pictographs but now also represent abstract concepts and the sounds of syllables. Though complex, it permits written communication between speakers of the many dialects, most of which are mutually incomprehensible in speech. About 8,000 characters are in everyday use, some having been simplified during the 20th century. For transliteration into the Roman alphabet, the Pinyin system is now usually usedMore example sentences
- Above all, we are Chinese in China and the fact we speak English to foreign people is a sign of kindness.
- It was retold by the Chinese and by the national minorities of southern and southwest China.
- Hinton loves China and the Chinese (he now lives in Mongolia), and I suppose to love is always to make excuses for the loved ones.
More definitions of ChineseDefinition of Chinese in:
- The British & World English dictionary