Definition of Chiricahua in English:
1A member of an Apache people, formerly located in southern New Mexico, southeastern Arizona, and northern Mexico, now living primarily in Oklahoma and New Mexico.
- Daklugie suffered all the ignominies heaped upon the Chiricahuas after they were exiled to Florida.
- Among the Chiricahuas and the Western Apaches local groups comprised loose confederations called bands.
- For further information regarding the dealings of the Chiricahua with the Government, see Apache.
2The Athabaskan language of the Chiricahua.
- Many of the stories appearing in this volume were recorded and transcribed in the Chiricahua language by Harry Hoijer, a noted linguist who studied southern Athapaskan languages.
- When I was in sheep camp, I listened closely and it seemed to me that it was talking the Chiricahua language.
- Only 300 people are still fluent in the Chiricahua language.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Chiricahua or their language.
- Also they are reaching out to the non-Indian community to educate them about Chiricahua philosophy.
- In his context, modern Chiricahua settlement patterns now indicate a reassertion of traditional Chiricahua spatial patterns.