- A large phylum of animals that includes the vertebrates together with the sea squirts and lancelets. They are distinguished by the possession of a notochord at some stage during their development.More example sentences
- The superphylum Deuterostomia contains the diverse phyla Chordata and Echinodermata and the minor phyla Hemichordata and Urochordata.
- The Chordata is the animal phylum with which everyone is most intimately familiar, since it includes humans and other vertebrates.
- Technically an invertebrate, amphioxus is classified in subphylum Protochordata, phylum Chordata.
modern Latin (plural), from Latin chorda (see chord2), on the pattern of words such as Vertebrata.
More definitions of ChordataDefinition of Chordata in:
- The British & World English dictionary