Definition of Christendom in English:
1The worldwide body or society of Christians.
- He asserts that abortion was universally condemned by Christendom, a crime at common law, and a felony in the vast majority of states in the latter half of the nineteenth century.
- Baptism made one a member of the body of Christendom.
- Pope Urban II called upon the knights of Christendom to push back the conquests of Islam at the Council of Clermont in 1095.
1.1The Christian world: the greatest church in Christendom
More example sentences
- On the surface Spanish society appears very secular, but in the twentieth century Spain gave birth to one of the most successful reform movements in contemporary Christendom, Opus Dei.
- The new monastic orders amassed considerable power in Christendom, particularly the Cluniacs, the first order to centralize monastic authority.
- Pentecostals and charismatics have larger membership than all the Protestant denominations combined: they represent the second largest body in Christendom.
Words that rhyme with Christendomkingdom • princedom
Definition of Christendom in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.