Definition of Christendom in English:
1The worldwide body or society of Christians.
- He asserts that abortion was universally condemned by Christendom, a crime at common law, and a felony in the vast majority of states in the latter half of the nineteenth century.
- Baptism made one a member of the body of Christendom.
- Pope Urban II called upon the knights of Christendom to push back the conquests of Islam at the Council of Clermont in 1095.
1.1The Christian world: the greatest church in Christendom
More example sentences
- On the surface Spanish society appears very secular, but in the twentieth century Spain gave birth to one of the most successful reform movements in contemporary Christendom, Opus Dei.
- The new monastic orders amassed considerable power in Christendom, particularly the Cluniacs, the first order to centralize monastic authority.
- Pentecostals and charismatics have larger membership than all the Protestant denominations combined: they represent the second largest body in Christendom.
Definition of Christendom in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan