Definition of Circassian in English:
Relating to or denoting a group of mainly Sunni Muslim peoples of the northwest Caucasus.
- When he built this hotel in 1912 he filled it with Austrian crystal chandeliers, Circassian walnut paneling, and an Italian marble staircase and floors.
- It set off her golden eyes, and her very light blond hair, a legacy of her Circassian ancestors.
- Special seats were set aside in parliament for Christian, Chechen, Circassian, and Bedouin minorities.
nounBack to top
1A member of the Circassian.
- The Circassians, who are Muslim, are of Russian origin and generally have fair hair and skin.
- From 1382 onwards the rulers were mostly Circassians from the Caucasus.
- The North Caucasus houses Circassians, Turkic peoples, Ossetians, and Chechens; Dagestan alone contains dozens of nationalities.
From Circassia, Latinized form of Russian Cherkes, denoting a district in the northern Caucasus.
Words that rhyme with CircassianParnassian
Definition of Circassian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan