(also Dall's sheep)
Definition of Dall sheep in English:
A wild North American sheep found in mountainous country from Alaska to British Columbia.
- Ovis dalli, family Bovidae
- Here, just 250 miles south of the Arctic Circle, grizzly bears meander along the roads, caribou feed with calves in tow, and mountain goats and Dall sheep cling to high outcroppings.
- Polar and grizzly bear, caribou, musk ox, Dall sheep, wolf, arctic fox, and more than 100 species of migratory birds use the land.
- Then there's the scenery - the mountains, the Dall sheep on the hillsides, the pods of Beluga whales passing by - where else can you find that?
early 20th century: named after William H. Dall (1845–1927), US naturalist.
Definition of Dall sheep in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan