Definition of Dane in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Denmark, or a person of Danish descent.
- In the days gone by, the Norwegian royals reconciled with the Danes and elected a Danish prince to be the Norwegian ruler.
- Beer-drinking is a national pastime but Danes are ever the ones for mild moderation.
- Finns, Danes and Americans enjoy the greatest freedom to travel, with 130 nations welcoming them without a visa.
1.1 historical One of the Viking invaders of the British Isles in the 9th-11th centuries.
- In the later 9th cent., after the struggle between Alfred and the Danes, the region became part of Wessex.
- By the autumn of 880 the Danes had left Wessex and western Mercia, and had begun the systematic settlement of East Anglia.
- Quite simply, the depredations of the Danes aided Wessex by extinguishing all other royal lineages.
Definition of Dane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan