- 1A native or inhabitant of Denmark, or a person of Danish descent.More example sentences
- In the days gone by, the Norwegian royals reconciled with the Danes and elected a Danish prince to be the Norwegian ruler.
- Beer-drinking is a national pastime but Danes are ever the ones for mild moderation.
- Finns, Danes and Americans enjoy the greatest freedom to travel, with 130 nations welcoming them without a visa.
- 1.1 • historical One of the Viking invaders of the British Isles in the 9th-11th centuries.More example sentences
- In the later 9th cent., after the struggle between Alfred and the Danes, the region became part of Wessex.
- By the autumn of 880 the Danes had left Wessex and western Mercia, and had begun the systematic settlement of East Anglia.
- Quite simply, the depredations of the Danes aided Wessex by extinguishing all other royal lineages.
Old English Dene; superseded in Middle English by forms influenced by Old Norse Danir and late Latin Dani (both plural).
More definitions of DaneDefinition of Dane in:
- The British & World English dictionary