Definition of Dermaptera in English:
An order of insects that comprises the earwigs.
- Insects, such as Hymenoptera, Heteroptera, Coleoptera, Dermaptera, some Diptera, and some Lepidoptera have convergently developed an ability to attach their wings to the body when resting.
- Other insects from these sites include Odonata, Blattodea, Isoptera, Dermaptera, Heteroptera, Auchenorrhyncha, Trichoptera, and Diptera are presently documented on the basis of only a relatively few specimens.
- Rohdendorf and Hennig both hypothesized a relationship of the Dermaptera to the Dictyoptera (cockroaches, mantises, and termites).
- 1dermapterannoun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Nontarget insects caught in traps were counted and broadly categorized by order (e.g. small dipterans, dermapterans) or family or super family.
- We are establishing a molecular phylogeny for this group in order elucidate patterns of dermapteran diversification and evolution.
- Birds consumed dermapterans, orthopterans, arachnids, and coleopterans in proportions equal to the prey's availability and did not select for prey size.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek derma 'skin' + pteron 'wing'.
Definition of Dermaptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.