nounUS • informal
- Any of the Southern Democrats who seceded from the party in 1948 in opposition to its policy of extending civil rights.More example sentences
- In 1948, disgruntled southern Democrats, nicknamed Dixiecrats, launched the States' Rights party.
- This was a period in which the segregationist Southern Dixiecrats played a leading role in the Democratic Party as well as the Roosevelt administration.
- Fortunately, the old power base of the Dixiecrats in Congress has been transformed into the country's most solid bedrock of Republican power.
More definitions of DixiecratDefinition of Dixiecrat in:
- The British & World English dictionary