- A bacterium commonly found in the intestines of humans and other animals, where it usually causes no harm. Some strains can cause severe food poisoning, especially in old people and children.
More example sentences
- Escherichia coli; a motile Gram-negative bacillus
- It's almost impossible to protect dairy cows from E. coli and other coliform bacteria.
- They spliced a piece of frog DNA into the DNA of a common bacterium known as E. coli.
- The bacterium E. coli is a normal inhabitant of the gastrointestinal tract of humans and livestock.
More definitions of E. coliDefinition of E. coli in:
- The British & World English dictionary