(also Garden of Eden)
- 1.1 (as noun an Eden) A place or state of great happiness; an unspoiled paradise: the lost Eden of his childhoodMore example sentences
- As Keynes acknowledged, nineteenth-century Europe was far from being an Eden for most of its inhabitants.
- And for some reason, we have these little Edens, these pieces of paradise in the ugliness.
- India has served as one of the foreign Edens to which those Americans turn, in order to show their disdain for the United States.
from late Latin (Vulgate), Greek Ēdēn (Septuagint), and Hebrew ῾Ēḏen; perhaps related to Akkadian edinu, from Sumerian eden 'plain, desert' (but believed to be related to Hebrew ῾ēḏen 'delight').
More definitions of EdenDefinition of Eden in:
- The British & World English dictionary