Definition of Elster in English:
noun[usually as modifier] Geology
1.1The system of deposits laid down at the time of the Elster glaciation.
- The sand and clay layers (Urk Formation, Late Pleistocene) overlying the Pot. Clay were formed during the warmer Holstein period following the Elster.
- The evidence suggests three episodes are late Pleistocene (post-Elster).
- Example sentences
- Although several old gravels with glacial erratics are known, the oldest major glacial episodes with extensive till deposits are the Elsterian in northern Germany and the Anglian in England.
- In order to simulate subglacial groundwater drainage under the Elsterian (ca. 500-400 ka PB) ice sheet in Poland, we have designed a complex numerical model using the FD MODFLOW code.
Pronunciation: /elˈsti(ə)rēən/adjective& noun
1930s: the name of a tributary of the Elbe River in Germany.
Definition of Elster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.