Definition of Elster in English:
noun[usually as modifier] Geology
1.1The system of deposits laid down at the time of the Elster glaciation.
- The sand and clay layers (Urk Formation, Late Pleistocene) overlying the Pot. Clay were formed during the warmer Holstein period following the Elster.
- The evidence suggests three episodes are late Pleistocene (post-Elster).
1930s: the name of a tributary of the Elbe River in Germany.
- Example sentences
- Although several old gravels with glacial erratics are known, the oldest major glacial episodes with extensive till deposits are the Elsterian in northern Germany and the Anglian in England.
- In order to simulate subglacial groundwater drainage under the Elsterian (ca. 500-400 ka PB) ice sheet in Poland, we have designed a complex numerical model using the FD MODFLOW code.
Pronunciation: /elˈsti(ə)rēən/adjective& noun
Definition of Elster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia