Definition of Flavian in English:
Of or relating to a dynasty ( ad 69-96) of Roman emperors including Vespasian and his sons Titus and Domitian.
- His name indicates that his family was granted the citizenship by the Flavian dynasty of Vespasian.
- The settlement developed into a planned Roman town from early Flavian times.
- Suetonius, writing about the Julio-Claudian and Flavian emperors under a new dynasty, saw no reason to treat them as heroes.
nounBack to top
A member of the Flavian dynasty.
- The latter managed to stick, founding a new dynasty, the Flavians.
- As the Flavians advanced on Rome there were steady desertions from Vitellius' cause, though his praetorians remained loyal.
- Either way, the result was a new imperial dynasty: the Flavians.
from Latin Flavianus, from Flavius, a given name used by this dynasty.
Definition of Flavian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia