Definition of Gaboon viper in English:
A large, thick-bodied venomous African snake with a pair of hornlike scales on the snout, and the scales richly patterned with brown, purple, and cream.
- Bitis gabonica, family Viperidae
- For example, one of the wall panels in the exhibition shows a Gaboon viper that has captured a small antelope.
- I did once meet a nurse in the Gold Coast who had lived after a bite from a Gaboon viper, but it took her a long time to recover from the poison injected into her bloodstream, and for many months she didn't really care if she lived or died.
- Another animal sculpture in the exhibition portrays a coiled Gaboon viper threatening a growling dog; a spotted civet or genet looks on.
Early 20th century: named after Gaboon (now Gabon).
Definition of Gaboon viper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan