A large, thick-bodied venomous African snake with a pair of hornlike scales on the snout, and the scales richly patterned with brown, purple, and cream.
- Bitis gabonica, family Viperidae
More example sentences
- For example, one of the wall panels in the exhibition shows a Gaboon viper that has captured a small antelope.
- I did once meet a nurse in the Gold Coast who had lived after a bite from a Gaboon viper, but it took her a long time to recover from the poison injected into her bloodstream, and for many months she didn't really care if she lived or died.
- Another animal sculpture in the exhibition portrays a coiled Gaboon viper threatening a growling dog; a spotted civet or genet looks on.
early 20th century: named after Gaboon (now Gabon).
Definition of Gaboon viper in:
- The British & World English dictionary