Definition of Gamay in English:
1A variety of black wine grape native to the Beaujolais district of France.
- Galet cites scores of different Gamays, many quite unrelated to the Beaujolais archetype, many of them particular clonal selections of it, and many more of them red-fleshed teinturiers once widely used to add colour to vapid blends.
- This is far-north wine-growing, and the grapes planted, the white Sauvignon and Chenin, the red Cabernet Franc and Gamay, are all varieties prized for their fairly acid and raw qualities.
- The grape ripens late, providing a richness of flavour not found in either Gamay or Pinot Noir.
1.2 (also Gamay-Beaujolais) A red wine with a fruity flavor.
- California Gamay-Beaujolais and Barberas - known as ‘hamburger reds’ - are also barbecue-friendly.
- So I do have a bit of a soft-spot for these Gamays, but they taste thin and pale compared to the great wines of France.
- According to trend watchers, California gamay beaujolais is on the verge of stardom.
from the name of a hamlet in Burgundy, eastern France.
Definition of Gamay in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan