Definition of Gascon in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Gascony.
- At that time, much of their territory was seized by Spaniards, Gascons, and Catalans.
- An acquired taste has been created, which suffers under disappointment as cruelly as when the Greenlander is deprived of his whale-blubber, the Gascon of his garlic, and the East Indian of his curry.
- In return the Gascons imported English cloth, leather, and corn.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to Gascony or its people.
- But did they pretend to naval power beyond such dictates, or occasionally commandeering the resources of English merchants trading with Scandinavian, Flemish, or, later, Gascon ports?
- Then, unless you're a Gascon peasant with a farmyard full of ducks and pigs, the shopping alone is going to eat into your house-in - France fund, not to mention occupy you for a good day.
- The expression ‘a Gascon promise’ is only ever used ironically.
Definition of Gascon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan