noun (plural same or Gastarbeiters)
- German term for guest worker.More example sentences
- In West Germany the Gastarbeiter who arrived in the 1960s and 1970s came largely from Germany's historic ally, Turkey.
- Another boost to the population of West Germany has been provided by the so-called Gastarbeiter (migrant or immigrant workers), mostly from Turkey, the Balkans, Italy, and Portugal.
- The first Gastarbeiter arrived in Germany in the 1950s, and the largest influx of Algerian-born immigrants came to France in 1956-1957.
German, from Gast 'guest' + Arbeiter 'worker'.
More definitions of GastarbeiterDefinition of Gastarbeiter in:
- The British & World English dictionary