- Two white cloth strips attached to the collar of some Protestants' clerical dress.More example sentences
- He is marked out by the Geneva bands, a pair of white strips, that he wears at his neck.
- Clergy may also wear bands, which may be of black material, which are also known as Geneva bands.
- A stout priest wearing an old fashioned wig, a cassock, stained surplice and Geneva bands stood smiling unctuously beside the Keeper.
late 19th century: from the place name Geneva, where they were originally worn by Calvinists.
More definitions of Geneva bandsDefinition of Geneva bands in:
- The British & World English dictionary