Definition of Germanize in English:
Make German; cause to adopt German language and customs: the Poles had Germanized their family names
More example sentences
- The same system that kept women from voting for too long also kept the would-be totalitarians from completely East Germanizing the country for 50 years.
- Increasingly German Catholics became accepted into and in turn accepted the notion of an exclusive German nation with a mission to Germanize the Prussian East.
- He applauded Clough for ‘not Graecizing or Germanizing his English, as most hexameter writers have to do’ but rather ‘Anglicizing the metre’.
- Example sentences
- The capstone to Billow's Polenpolitik was his school language policy, introduced in 1900, which effectively completed the Germanization of schools in the Prussian East.
- In these regions policies of Protestantization combined with those of Germanization in the effort to create a unified Reich.
- Attempts at Germanization and Russification only fired up Polish nationalism - or indeed nationalisms.
Definition of Germanize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia