A very large fossil Asian ape of the late Miocene to early Pleistocene epochs.
- Genus Gigantopithecus, family Pongidae
More example sentences
- A German paleontologist discovered Gigantopithecus in 1935 when he picked up a strange, heavy tooth in a Chinese apothecary.
- Its size and ape affiliation suggest Gigantopithecus was a ground-dwelling, fist-walking creature.
- Creatures the size of Gigantopithecus would need a source which existed in abundance.
modern Latin, from Greek gigas, gigant- (see giant) + pithēkos 'ape'.
Definition of Gigantopithecus in:
- The British & World English dictionary