Definition of Hawaiian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Hawaii.
- Cousteau and his crew of 22 are already in the islands, exploring the mid-ocean ecosystem that native Hawaiians view as their ancestral home.
- Though Hawaiians dragged long, kelp-braided nets across the lagoons and deeper waters of their island homes, all knew better than to keep the jeweled Kole.
- Annexed by America in 1898 and granted statehood in 1959, Hawaiians have watched for decades as rich outsiders have swooped in and incinerated cultures.
2The Austronesian language of Hawaii.
- Fewer than 2,500 people speak Hawaiian as their mother tongue, most of whom are older people.
- Some of them are clearly members of the Austronesian language family, the family that also includes such languages as Malay, Hawaiian, and Maori.
- In the 1970s, Hawaiians revived their traditional culture, and the state recognized Hawaiian as an official language.
adjectiveBack to top
1Relating to Hawaii, its people, or their language.
- Immediately after their arrival in 1820, the missionaries studied the Hawaiian language, analyzed it, and in 1826 established its orthography.
- Prohibition of hula dancing provoked a ‘discursive insurrection’ against colonial law in the form of traditional stories of the dance in Hawaiian language newspapers.
- They viewed the re-establishment of the Hawaiian language in school as one step toward Hawaiians regaining the rights and privileges their people lost through colonization.
1.1 Geology Relating to or denoting a type of volcanic eruption in which fluid basaltic lava is produced, as is typical of volcanoes in Hawaii.
- Diamonds are most commonly associated with Archean subcontinental lithosphere but nanodiamonds were recently reported from mantle xenoliths in EM1like Hawaiian basalts.
- A Hawaiian eruption involves the steady supply of fluid, relatively gas-poor magma to the vent.
- Hawaiian eruptions are characterized by lava-effusion (an eruption of lava which most commonly gives rise to lava flows).
Definition of Hawaiian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan