Definition of Hebraist in English:
1A scholar of the Hebrew language.
- And Gill was probably the greatest Hebraist of the 18th century (before the rise of ‘higher criticism’) and staunchly defended biblical inerrancy, and only very rarely pointed out textual problems.
- Likewise modern scholarship has translated Matthew back to Hebrew and discovered puns there which disappear in Greek (I'm no Hebraist, so don't ask me).
1.1A student or adherent of the Jewish religion, culture, or character.
- He was a professor at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, he had a German Ph.D., he was a committed Zionist and Hebraist, and he was ritually observant.
- He gained a reputation as a literary critic, historian, and ardent Hebraist.
- We also have, in the middle ages, the phenomenon of ‘Christian Hebraists.’
Definition of Hebraist in:
- British & World English dictionary