Definition of Hercules beetle in English:
A large tropical American rhinoceros beetle, the male of which has two long curved horns extending from the head and one from the thorax.
- Genus Dynastes, family Scarabaeidae: several species, including the eastern Hercules beetle (D. tityus) of the southeastern US
- In size they range from 0.25 to 0.3 mm to over 150 cm for the giant Goliath and Hercules beetles, which in size are the largest living species of insects.
- The largest beetle in the Americas is the Hercules beetle, which can be 4 to 6 inches in length.
- The Coleoptera also includes some of the largest insects, like the living Hercules beetle, Dynastes hercules.
Definition of Hercules beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.