- Denoting or relating to a matrix in which those pairs of elements that are symmetrically placed with respect to the principal diagonal are complex conjugates.More example sentences
- Hermite is now best known for a number of mathematical entities that bear his name: Hermite polynomials, Hermite's differential equation, Hermite's formula of interpolation and Hermitian matrices.
- In general, the eigenvalues can be complex numbers, even when the elements of the matrix are real, but the symmetry of a Hermitian matrix ensures that all the eigenvalues will be real.
- Do you realize that's the pair-correlation function for the eigenvalues of a random Hermitian matrix?
early 20th century: from the name of Charles Hermite (1822–1905), French mathematician, + -ian.
More definitions of HermitianDefinition of Hermitian in:
- The British & World English dictionary