Definition of Hessian fly in English:
A gall midge whose larvae are a pest of cereal crops, occurring in wheat-growing areas.
- Mayetiola destructor, family Cecidomyiidae
- Resistance in wheat to the Hessian fly, a major insect pest of wheat, is based on a gene-for-gene interaction.
- Plant breeders are constantly engaged in a vicious cycle, developing wheats that resist the Hessian fly… for a time.
- The Hessian fly spread from Long Island in 1777, and a more widespread impact began to be felt in 1778.
Late 18th century: so named because it was supposed (erroneously) to have been carried to America by Hessian troops during the American Revolution.
Definition of Hessian fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan