(also Higgs particle)
- A subatomic particle whose existence is predicted by the theory that unified the weak and electromagnetic interactions.More example sentences
- He suggested that the priority for scientists using the ILC would be to better understand the Higgs particle, a theoretical particle which, if it exists, would explain why matter has mass.
- Scientists are also intensifying their hunt for the Higgs boson, a force particle which is thought to account for mass.
- Some time ago, Professor Stephen Hawking bet 100 that the Higgs particle would never be found.
1970s: named after Peter W. Higgs (1929–), English physicist.
More definitions of Higgs bosonDefinition of Higgs boson in:
- The British & World English dictionary