- 1A large order of insects that includes the bees, wasps, ants, and sawflies. These insects have four transparent wings and the females typically have a sting.More example sentences
- They frequently feed on Hymenoptera (bees, wasps and ants), Diptera (true flies), Hemiptera (true bugs) and Coleoptera (beetles).
- They belong to the order Hymenoptera, which includes bees, wasps, sawflies, and ichneumons.
- Lepidoptera, Coleoptera and Hymenoptera were the most represented orders in terms of the number of species observed.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek humenopteros 'membrane-winged', from humēn 'membrane' + pteron 'wing'.
More definitions of HymenopteraDefinition of Hymenoptera in:
- The British & World English dictionary