Definition of Hyracoidea in English:
A small order of mammals that comprises the hyraxes.
- We now think that their real affinities lie with the Sirenia, Hyracoidea, and Proboscidea.
- The orders Hyracoidea, Macroscelides, Sirenia, Proboscidea, and Tubulidentata were grouped into a single clade called Afrotheria.
- One or both segments were obtained from species belonging to primates, Cetartiodactyla, Carnivora, and Hyracoidea, but not from mouse or hamster.
- Example sentences
- Some other hyracoid species also showed a similar adaptation, but the skeletal trait was most pronounced in Thyrohyrax, he added.
- It is so different from all other animals, that scientists have placed it in an order, or group, all by itself, hyracoids.
- It seems likely that the common ancestor of all three modern families was some kind of amphibious hyracoid.
Pronunciation: /ˈhīrəˌkoid/noun& adjective
Definition of Hyracoidea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan