A major division of the rodents that includes the guinea pigs, porcupines, coypu, and their relatives. They occur chiefly in South America.
- Suborder Hystricomorpha, order Rodentia
More example sentences
- The Guinea Pig, Cavia porcellus, is a mammal of the order Rodentia, sub-order Hystricomorpha and family Caviidae.
- The Old World members of this group are sometimes placed in a separate group called the porcupine-like rodents (Hystricomorpha).
- More example sentences
- The myomorph and sciuromorph taxa are included in the Sciurognathi, while most hystricomorphs are in the Hystricognathi.
- Nevertheless, hystricomorph rodents are an exception among mammals, possessing an insulin molecule with many amino acid substitutions.
Pronunciation: /ˈhistrikōˌmôrf/noun& adjective
Definition of Hystricomorpha in:
- The British & World English dictionary