Definition of Ilocano in English:
noun (plural same or Ilocanos)
1A member of a people inhabiting northwestern Luzon in the Philippines.
- The major ethnolinguistic groups that have shaped politics in the Philippines were the Tagalogs, Ilocanos, and Pampangans of Luzon, the Cebuanos of the Visayas, and the Muslim Maranaos and Tausugs of Mindanao.
- Like other Filipinos, Ilocanos recognize an array of supernatural beings, such as the katawtaw-an (the spirits of infants, who died unbaptized who in turn victimize newborns).
- Captain Mead reported that Ilocanos and Pangasinans exhibited ‘a natural dislike to the Tagalogs’ and he identified the latter as ‘a disturbing element’ and blamed them for ‘forcibly driving local laborers from the camps.’
2The Austronesian language of the Ilocano.
- An example is Filipino, despite resistance from northern Ilocanos and southern Cebuanos; it is now more widely spoken than English, Ilocano, or Cebuano.
- Three dialects are of national importance: Cebuano in the southern islands, Ilocano in the north, and Tagalog, the language of the National Capital Region.
- I wish I could walk up to them and curse using the many dialects of the Philippines; there's Ilocano, Cebuano, Visayan… a lot.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Ilocano or their language.
- According to one Ilocano origin myth, a giant named Aran built the sky and hung the sun, moon, and stars in it.
- By 1935, young single Ilocano men were the largest Filipino ethnic group in Hawaii.
- Several mayors of villages in the Ilocos Norte reported that about $35,000 a month was received through the pension checks of returned Ilocanos workers and from remittances sent by fourth-wave immigrants.
Philippine Spanish, from Ilocos, the name of two provinces in the Philippines.
Definition of Ilocano in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan