Definition of Indo-Malaysian in English:
1.1Denoting an ethnological region comprising Sri Lanka, the Malay peninsula, and the Malaysian islands.
- But the borders between them are vague: India is sometimes seen as part of an Indo-African subkingdom, but others discern an Indo-Malayan (or Indo-Malesian) subkingdom.
- The book covers the culture history and archaeology of the Indo-Malaysian portion of Asian culture.
1.2 (also Indo-Malesian) Biology Denoting a major biogeographical region comprising Malesia and East, South, and Southeast Asia.
- The worsening of the climate led to a retreat of the Indo-Malesian flora, while the Arcto-Tertiary flora advanced.
- The natural distribution of M. indica is in the Indo-Malesian region.
- Yuhinas occur exclusively in the Indo-Malayan region, with a large diversification in the Philippine archipelagos.
Definition of Indo-Malaysian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan