- An alloy of iron and nickel with a negligible coefficient of expansion, used in the making of clocks and scientific instruments.More example sentences
- Mr Bebb marvelled judges with a demonstration about Invar, an alloy which does not contract or expand when the temperature changes using nothing but balloons and chit-chat.
- This includes joining hard-to-weld and exotic materials such as the stainless steels, aluminum, magnesium, copper, beryllium copper, Hastelloy, Inconel, Invar and Kovar, especially in very thin cross sections.
- Choosing a material with a low coefficient of thermal expansion, such as Invar, is one method for minimizing thermal drift.
early 20th century: abbreviation of invariable.
More definitions of InvarDefinition of Invar in:
- The British & World English dictionary