Definition of Irish in English:
Of or relating to Ireland, its people, or the Goidelic language traditionally and historically spoken there.
- Either way, all Irish people spoken to yesterday were affected in some way by the atrocities.
- Even more urgent was the need to find a response to Irish demands for independence.
- The Irish criticism of the British position is not as strong as that of other countries.
nounBack to top
1 (also Irish Gaelic) The Goidelic language that is the first official language of the Republic of Ireland.
- Microsoft Office programmes such as Word and Excel will also be translated into Irish.
- Irish is quite a different language and we require key documents translated into Irish.
- Such an arrangement would address the practical modalities of translation for Irish.
2 (as plural noun the Irish) The people of Ireland; Irish people collectively.
- A similar strategy was also employed against England's other national enemy, the Irish.
- It also aided their hopes of assimilating the Irish in Scottish society and extending their own influence.
- Traditionally, the British are great actors, as are the Scottish and the Irish.
get one's Irish up
- Cause one to become angry: if someone tries to make me do something I don’t want to do, it gets my Irish upMore example sentences
- Well in that case, here's something that might get your Irish up.
- Fortunately or unfortunately, I got his Irish up when I compared his behavior to the tobacco company executives swearing that they had no idea that nicotine was addictive.
- What gets my Irish up about all this of course is how he was attacked when he died.
- Example sentences
- John Hume's brain wave of issuing a certificate of Irishness to the millions of people around the world who claim Irish descent - at a price of course - is pretty ingenious.
- The fact that ‘we’ were in their country for a few hundred years might be considered a good reason to be thoroughly well acquainted with ‘what Irishness is’.
- And, in this regard, Harry believed that his Irishness was a help in befriending the Nigerians as it did not carry with it the colonial baggage of the former rulers.
Words that rhyme with Irishnightmarish
Definition of Irish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan